905 689 8005

Easter Hazards to Protect Your Pet From

With Easter around the corner please keep in mind two potential toxins that can harm your cat and dog.

Most lilies are extremely toxic to cats.  Ingesting a small amount of a Lily can potentially cause kidney failure.

Chocolate is another Easter hazard.  Chocolate is more of a concern for dogs as they tend to get into treats that are left unattended, however cats may also suffer from chocolate toxicity if they ingest chocolate.

Lilies

This flower is a member of the Lilium and Hermerocallis family, they are generally toxic to cats. There are many different species of plants called “lily”: Easter Lily, Stargazer Lily, Day Lily and Tiger lily. And though they may be beautiful to look at, a cat could die of kidney failure if they should eat any part of these toxic species and not receive treatment immediately. All parts of the lily, including the stem, leaves, petals, stamens and pollen are toxic to cats. In fact, as little as two leaves can make your cat sick, and if left untreated, can become fatal.

If you witness your cat chewing on a lily plant or find part of your plant chewed on, your cat should be taken to see a veterinarian right away. Some symptoms to watch for are drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, increased urination to lack of urination and dehydration, they should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Once at the vet your cats veterinarian will discuss with you the right treatment approach for you and your cat.

Chocolate

Dogs (and sometimes cats) are known for eating things when they are not supposed to. Your pet also has an excellent sense of smell, making it fairly easy to find where you have hidden the chocolate.

Chocolate contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can also lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal. Theobromine causes the release of norepinephrine and epinephrine, which can cause an increase in your dog’s heart rate and can cause arrhythmias. Some other symptoms seen with chocolate toxicity can include increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea and hyperactivity within the first few hours. Some symptoms can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

The amount and type of chocolate ingested is also important, as they are the determining factors for the severity of the toxicity.

Please remember to keep these items out of reach from you furry friend this Holiday so you all can enjoy the Holiday.

Category:

Blog

Kennel Cough

Kennel Cough is considered an infectious disease that is caused by the canine Parainfluenza virus, the Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria, or a combination of both virus and bacteria. This disease is called kennel cough due to the dry, hacking cough usually seen with infection.

Read More
See All Articles